coloring and stitching & a NEW pattern



Miss Mousey is getting a bit of color. This pattern is NEW and in my shop. I made a similar version of this in red-work.


The NEW pattern, has Miss Mousey holding her stitching booklet and a second design with her holding her hoop. The strawberry or the house can be stitched in her hoop. Her cushion has changed a bit, I added some cute little roses throughout the pattern. Hope you enjoy stitching this one too! The red-work version & the color version are both available in my shop.



Color tinting with crayons is fun and rather easy. I use everyday crayola crayons and my fabric of choice is pretty much always a linen-cotton blend. Some refer to this as hanky linen. I cut my linen to size, apply the design using my light table and micron pens. Then, I iron the light weight stabilizer to the fabric. Now, it is ready to tint and stitch. 

I always, cut a small piece of linen and draw a bit of the design on it for sampling. This gives me a real good feel, for the color choices of threads and crayons. It will also, give a feel for how the fabric reacts to the crayon. So, don't skip this step...it helps, to achieve the desired result.

After my fabric is prepared and I have decided on crayon colors, I begin with a white crayon. I color, with white in all the areas, that I want to tint. Even, consistent pressure in these areas will result in a smooth area to apply color. I then, color my areas evenly and sometimes blend two colors. I like keeping the color at the stitching line fading it inward a bit. Once stitched, it seems to set the thread in a bath of color. I like that. Other times, as in doing the cushion, I like an all over-filled in area. Color how you wish...It's your stitchery!

If you hold your fabric, at an angle to the light, you can see where the white is coating the surface of the fabric. It is giving the fabric a nice waxed surface, for melting in the color. Resulting in tinting the fabric with a colored stain. I have experimented with this many times and it works for me. I am sure, there are many methods and probably tons of videos, to walk you thru, if you need a bit more guidance.

Once, I am satisfied with the tinting, I place the design face up on the ironing board. I then, place a clean white paper towel over the tinted areas.  With my iron, set on High-Dry, I firmly press each area. I press and pick up, moving around the design, to melt all the crayon and pull the residual crayon off of my fabric. Avoid pushing the iron over the design-this will cause colors to smear &  I replace with clean towels as needed and sometimes, I go back to the coloring table, to add a bit more. Be careful doing this and always try on a sample piece of fabric first. Now, the design is ready for stitching....watch it come alive! 




I hope this helps, to get you started coloring on fabric. You'll find it to be so much fun, your creative side will soar! My patterns include Thread & Crayon color Suggestions. 
Happy Coloring.....Happy Stitching!  
I'll be back soon, with yet one more design. I'll be playing with that one this afternoon, at my sewing table. 



4 comments:

  1. What a cool technique! I'm definitely going to give this a try, thank you! Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to give it a try! This was meant for you. I know, you will love it! xxsusie

      Delete
  2. Another very cute design Susie; love your technique for colouring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maria, I have had a bit of fun with the coloring. It's not meant for all my designs but I like to experiment. Enjoy!

      Delete

Leaving a Little Note here makes me Smile